Nintendo Switch favorite?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by moonfall_prince, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Just out of curiosity, which Nintendo Switch game are you guys most excited for?

I'm super freakin' hype for Breath of the Wild, but I gotta say, Super Mario Odyssey (unexpectedly) blew me away as well.

2. snesfreak

snesfreak Bad at video games Staff Member

Breath of the Wild (even though I'm also getting it on Wii U) and Mario Odyssey.
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is another game I'm super excited for.
    Haven't actually played Splatoon but maybe I'll get Splatoon 2, though I've always been awful at multiplayer games like that lol.

Maybe not super hyped, but I'm definitely getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
    I love the original.

moonfall_prince likes this.
  3. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

Breath of the Wild is tops for me. I thought I was past my Zelda peak, but they seem to have moved the series more to where I was moving myself.

Past that it is so far really more about the hardware than specific titles. There are games like I Am Setsuna and Disgaea that I could already be playing, but are much more appealing when they wouldn't be locked to... well, this seat.

I put about a hundred hours into each previous Xenoblade, so that is another I am really looking forward to. Fire Emblem Warriors probably won't be one of the top games of the year, but it's one I have been guessing would happen for a dozen years now so I'm pretty excited to see it happen. I'm a big Mario fan, but so far with Odyssey I haven't seen the big thing that sets it apart from previous 3D Marios other than the weird semi-real-world settings, so I'm not as hyped for it yet.

4. When it comes to gaming, I'm a very story-heavy person; it's really the major reason I play games to begin with. That being said, not everyone goes into games for the story (which is totally cool), instead going for gameplay, multiplayer features, etc. And, of course, not every game I play I go into for the story-- sometimes I just want to laze about in Minecraft or sell my soul to Tom Nook in Animal Crossing. With Zelda, although I love the lore and the world-building, it's admittedly not the most story-oriented franchise. In fact, the devs consistently remind us that it's "gameplay first, story later."

So I go into Zelda titles with a different mindset-- the expectation that while it won't offer the greatest story, it will still be a really fun game to play in a setting that I cherish.

But with as expansive as the Zelda series is, I've always wished that they would release some titles that were more story-focused. Not every title or even half of the titles, but just a few every now and again. The reason Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are my favorite Zelda titles is partly because (imo) they offered the most depth in the storytelling department.

All that being said, I feel like Breath of the Wild is the Zelda game I've always wanted. The trailers have consistently blown me away and deeply moved me. Whether or not the game actually lives up to the hype is unknown, but for now I am extremely hopeful.

Well now, didn't mean to write an essay, but that's how much this upcoming game speaks to my soul XD

5. I've only heard good things about Splatoon. It seems really fun, and I'd definitely like to pick it up sometime.

Yeah, Mario Kart 8 was a blast. Me and my friend used to play it all the time lol

6. Ugh Xenoblade Chronicles. I want to play it so bad. I can't tell you how many times it has been recommended to me. It's one of those game(s) you have to play before you die. Did you play the 3DS port? If so, which one do you think is better-- the Wii Version or the New 3DS?

7. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

I played the Wii version. Though actually I played it 90% by way of Dolphin.

8. snesfreak

I have four copies of Xenoblade on Wii.
    European version that I imported before it was announced to be coming here, US copy that I opened, US copy that's sealed, and a Wii download on the Wii U.

Only reason I don't have the version on 3DS is cause I don't have a New 3DS.
    Else that'd be copy number five.

Am I crazy? :lol

9. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

... Yes.

10. snesfreak

That's really the only game I've done that with though.
    Kinda, I have two copies of OoT3D and kept RE: Revelaitons sealed.

I do have a sealed copy of the Zelda Collector's Edition disc on GC, but that was because the first copy Nintendo sent me took like two months to arrive.
    So they sent me a second one then they both showed up lol.

Art Focus Worldwide likes this.
  11. I'm personally looking forward to BOTW. Taking the time to explore each "district" on the map thoroughly before moving on to the next. I think it's going to take a very long time to 100%. I won't be buying a new game for that console for a long time. Also the fact that you have to prepare well before running off into the wilderness is a cool factor for a Zelda game. It's gonna be cool. Can't wait.

12. Yeah, I can't take my mind off Breath of the Wild. I'll be happy if the game is as good as its trailers.

13. Helyea

Helyea Member

I really want BotW as I have been waiting for a this Zelda game for a long time. I was reading that if you want to, you could run straight to the last boss and beat the game that way. Not that I would but I know there will be some people who will make that their ultimate goal. The random bots and things that come up out of nowhere look awesome and some of the powers Link gets just blow me away. I just hope I haven't seen all of the abilities that he gets. I want some of it to be fresh for when I get the game

Mario looks amazing. I am just not sure about the NY level. Something about it just reminds me of crazy taxi back in the day. Not really hyped about that. Some of the new things Mario can do looks cool. Reminds me a lot of Mario 64. I just want to understand why his hat works like a boomerang. In the 64 version Mario could lose his hat. I hope he can lose it in this one too in some parts of the world to make things interesting.

14. Geck0M

Geck0M Member

Im so hyped for Zelda and Splatoon 2 also looking forward to snipperclips, Bomberman R and the new Sonic game.

15. Hopefully there are good games for the switch

16. Andrew Wong

Andrew Wong Member

Bomberman in 3d man. What a time to be alive.

17. BotW is just the end all be all for me at this point; there is nothing else I want more XD

Yeah, the NY-inspired New Donk City looks really cool and appealing to me, but I do agree that it is questionable. I feel like it is one of those things that could either be really freakin' awesome or executed poorly. Mario's hat is sentient in this one apparently, so I'm assuming it's some sort of magical being that sits atop our hero's head much like Ezlo to Link in The Minish Cap.

18. I was super into Bomberman as a kid and I was pleasantly taken by surprise when they announced Bomberman R this year. I never expected that :D

I'm pretty hype too for Sonic: Mania. I am so glad Sega is trying to take it back to old school and re-discover what made them great. Don't get me wrong, I've never played a Sonic game I haven't enjoyed (and yes, I've finished '06), but I cannot deny it is a mess of a series. With Mania in a new timeline it could definitely be the soft reboot we've needed for the longest.

Geck0M likes this.
  19. Right?