Someone remind third parties Switch is more powerful than Wii U?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by JoshuaJSlone, Apr 30, 2017.

1. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

In these first few months, there are a few significant Switch games that also had Wii U versions, and it's interesting to note how they compare. For simplicity and the shared resolution factor, I'll stick with looking at undocked mode.

*Breath of the Wild: Looks the same on both systems, but the Switch version has a better frame rate.
    *Mario Kart 8: Looks the same on both systems, with some tiny framerate hitches improved.
    *LEGO City Undercover: Stills look mostly the same on both systems, but the Switch undocked framerate kind of sucks.
    *Minecraft: Same game look at same resolution on both versions, but Switch undocked has noticeably shorter draw distance--and the Wii U version already shared draw distance limitations with the PS3/X360 versions.

What is up with this inconsistency? And to be honest, I'm surprised the situation is not the reverse. Nintendo console developers have been working on IBM/ATI hardware since before the turn of the century, so I could've seen a bit of growing pain as they were forced to make a transition. But instead it's the third party developers who've already been working with NVIDIA hardware whose results suck?