Super Mario Maker/Breath of the Wild Giveaway: March 3rd (Finished)

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by snesfreak, Jan 21, 2017.

1. snesfreak

snesfreak Bad at video games Staff Member

[​IMG]

UPDATE: So as you probably know, Nintendo just revealed the Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass with two DLC packs. I've decided to add two codes for that to the prizes.
    One will go to the winner of Breath of the Wild, and one to another random user (as long as they're already getting the game themselves, otherwise what's the point? lol).

The giveaway is still happening on the 3rd, I haven't decided on an exact time though. According to Amazon's listing for the digital downloads of Zelda, the game/DLC pack codes will be sent out at 12 AM PST on the 3rd. So, maybe I could do it the morning of the 3rd (I've been waking up at like 7 AM every day for some reason.)

It's only a couple more weeks until the game and the Switch are out, I'm so freaking excited!

So, the goal of getting 100 members on the forum isn't really getting anywhere. Because of that, I've decided to do the giveaway on March 3rd no matter how many users there are. It'll still be done for forum users only, but since it is going so slowly it seems like it would be well after the launch of Zelda before we'd hit the goal. As it would be hard to avoid spoilers and whatnot I think doing it like this would be for the best.

Maybe it would actually attract more users if people knew there was a set date for the giveaway as well.

For those that don't know, we're doing a giveaway here on the forum. There are two prizes: An eShop code (US) for Super Mario Maker on Wii U, and a copy of Breath of the Wild for either Switch or Wii U. Mario Maker has to be an eShop code, because it's the code that came with the system. For Zelda, an eShop code would be a lot easier to do. But, if the winner really wanted I could send them an Amazon giftcode for the amount of the game's price (standard only, I don't think there'd be any special editions left anyway.) Then they could buy the game themselves (at least I'd hope they'd use it for that lol.)

I'd prefer to do it like that, since we wouldn't have to deal with giving out any personal information. I'm not going to use any sites for running this, I'll just pick two winners randomly from forum members who have been active at the time. The same user won't be able to win both games.

I really want this giveaway to be successful, and I'd definitely do more in the future for both big games and smaller ones.

If you have any ideas or thoughts about all this, let me know.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Chrisnelle141 and AsukaLee like this.
  2. snesfreak

Four new members already, just remember you gotta be active to be eligible.

But, welcome everyone who signs up.

Geck0M likes this.
  3. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

I do wonder how many people are in this site's target audience and won't already have Zelda on March 3, but better then than later.

4. JKizt

JKizt Member

Great, but you could have built something on Gleam to make the giveaway more interesting, you could make people post a tweet everyday to increase the number of viewers.

I just hope everything goes well. :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Tocram likes this.
  5. Its really cool what you're doing. ✌✌✌

6. snesfreak

Thanks, and welcome to the site.

7. JKizt

JKizt Member

Will you do a giveaway of Super Mario Odyssey when it releases? :rolleyes

8. snesfreak

I might, and hopefully plan it out a bit better.

JKizt likes this.
  9. Thanks

10. Geck0M

Geck0M Member

:luigiHello i'm new here

11. snesfreak

Hi.
    Welcome.

Geck0M likes this.
  12. So since I'm new....what's the point of a forum? Is it just to discuss certain topics?

Geck0M likes this.
  13. Geck0M

Geck0M Member

Yes

14. snesfreak

15. JKizt

JKizt Member

And what do we have to discuss? Paper Zelda? lol

16. snesfreak

Anything but politics, basically lol.

17. So is there anything you guys lean toward more when it comes to Nintendo? Like do you talk more about Zelda or Kirby or?

18. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

We talk about so little that anyone could probably take initiative and push it the way they like. :P

19. Oh ok. Well, I'm a Zelda fan personally. I love Pokemon and Kirby too. I want to get into more Metroid and Fire Emblem titles too. When it comes to Mario, I'm pretty picky lol.

Speaking of Metroid, anybody have a good place to start? I've only played half of Super Metroid and a little of Metroid Prime--other than that I know next to nothing.

20. snesfreak

Would anyone be opposed to me adding the Zelda DLC to this fabulous giveaway?
    Well, besides my bank account lulz.

moonfall_prince likes this.
  21. JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone Member

I'm not the biggest Metroid expert either, but I think either of those is a good starting point for whichever playstyle. The 2D ones before Super are old enough to be harder to get into now, lacking things like map and in the case of Metroid II, color. The only other one I've played all of is Zero Mission, which is a remake of the original with more attributes added from Super, though being on GBA it suffers a bit from lack of resolution and buttons.

22. snesfreak

How about this?
    I give two DLC codes away, one to the user that won the copy of Zelda and one to someone who's just buying the game themselves.
    Sound good?

What's another $40 anyway? lol.

23. Lol of course! Who would refuse DLC as an added bonus?

Thanks for the info Josh, I actually didn't know ZM was a remake of the original

Btw, how do you guys do the quote thing?

24. snesfreak

You can just click "Reply" on the bottom right on the post you want to quote.
    You can quote more than one post too, by clicking "+ Quote." You'll see it says "Insert quotes" below the reply text box.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  25. Awesome, thanks. I never knew how to do that heh

26. snesfreak

So, is anyone here going to want a physical copy of Breath of the Wild if they win?
    Just the standard edition of course.
    I guess I should send a mass-PM to everyone so people that haven't been around will see this.

27. I personally would prefer a physical copy, but I won't really be bothered if isn't

28. snesfreak

OK, you'd be cool with getting an Amazon giftcode for the cost of the game right?
    That's the only way I can think of to do it without any personal information being involved.

Only a couple weeks left, I should try to promote it as much as possible lol.

29. Oh yeah, no I totally understand not wanting to give out any personal info. Yeah, an Amazon giftcode for the cost of the game would work just fine.

30. snesfreak

Ah cool.
    Well good luck in a couple weeks, hope I can bring a few more people in before then too.

31. snesfreak

WTF I somehow like quadruple posted lol.

32. snesfreak

I blame my ISP lol.

33. Is anyone here on instagram?

34. snesfreak

So, will 12 PM ET on March 3rd work for doing the giveaway?
    I'm not, can't speak for others though.

35. Nope, sorry :/

36. March 3rd 12 PM ET works for me. Then again, anything within the next 2 months would work for me lol

37. Helyea

Helyea Member

This is really awesome that you are running a Nintendo Switch Game Giveaway! Even though you do not have as many members as you would like right now, just stick with it and it will eventually get there. Everybody loves giveaways and from what I can tell you are posting a lot of relevant Nintendo content. Your site was the first one that I saw posting about the stolen systems. Just keep putting out good content and you can grow a healthy community

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  38. Andrew Wong

Andrew Wong Member

Hello everyone :)

39. snesfreak

40. DarkLink

DarkLink Member

I am SO excited for the Switch and Breath of the Wild. I am the biggest Zelda fan ever. The Switch looks really interesting so I am excited to see for myself all of what it can do.

41. snesfreak

Hmm not available on Amazon or GameStop anymore.
    Well, as far as the giveaway goes if the winner wants a physical copy I'm giving them an Amazon giftcode for the price.

42. DarkLink

DarkLink Member

That's sounds good. I don't mind that.

43. snesfreak

OK quick question.
    Who here wants the code for Mario Maker?
    I know some people came here back when it was just a giveaway for that.

Also, is there anyone that doesn't want to be entered at all?
    I know there's probably quite a few people here that already preordered the game or have Mario Maker.

44. Geck0M

Geck0M Member

I will love to win the game

45. snesfreak

I'll put you in all three lists then, Super Mario Maker, Zelda+DLC and just the Zelda DLC.
    Sound good?

46. Geck0M

Geck0M Member

Yes! Thank you sir

47. snesfreak

Still not sure what to do about some of the members that haven't been around lately.
    I sent an email out but that didn't seem to do much, I might send one more even though I said in the last one it would probably be the only one.

Though this time maybe I'll actually remember to put a freakin' link to the forum in it :lol

Geck0M likes this.
  48. Andrew Wong

Andrew Wong Member

Please exclude me from the Wii U one as I do not have one and do not plan on getting one. Thanks !

49. snesfreak

OK.

Geck0M likes this.